Visa and residence permitVisa and residence permit

Become familiar with visa, residence permit, and CPR number and red tape in Denmark

See below which rules apply to you and find detailed information on how to register your residence in Denmark and how to get a Danish ID number. 

​Study in Denmark

Non-EU/non-EAA students

Whether you need a visa or residence/work permit depends on the duration of your exchange, its content and the amount of theory and practice during your exchange period.  

When the Learning or Training Agreement and Acceptance Letter have been signed accepted by all parties, we will contact students to help them with their further application. 

Make sure to check your email regularly. You also need to plan a visit to the embassy when you have received information from our International Department. The embassy may have limited time set aside to process applications – check their website for information on the process. Applying for a residence or work permit is a time-consuming and complicated process, and many parties are involved. Therefore, plan ahead and allow plenty of time for the process.   

Read more about registrations: 

EU/EEA/Swiss citizen

As an EU/EEA/Swiss citizen, you need a registration certificate if your exchange period is longer than 3 months.

In the welcome letter, which you will receive just before your arrival, you will find more information about the registration certificate and how you obtain your personal CPR number( Civil Registration Number) 

Read more about registrations:

Nordic citizens

As a citizen of Finland, Iceland, Norway or Sweden you are free to reside, study and work in Denmark. You do not need a visa, residence permit or work permit.

However, if your exchange period is longer than 3 months, we hope you will accept our language class offer. In our collaboration with internship locations, we emphasise that students attempt to learn Danish. To participate in this offer, you need to register in Denmark and request a CPR number.

Read more about registering your residence:

How do I get a Danish ID number (CPR)?

If you are staying in Denmark for more than 3 months, you need to apply for a CPR number. The CPR number gives you access to the same health services as Danes, opening a bank account and free language classes, to mention a few.

Read more about CPR and IHC: